Everyone knows that the trailer and the truck can be connected and disconnected. The reason is that they are connected by the traction pin and the saddle. When ready to hit the road, you should check that your trailer and truck are properly coupled. This is something you must do. So how to hook up a trailer to a truck? This article will give you the details. If you’re interested, read it now!
Precautions when hooking up a trailer
In the process of connecting the semi-trailer, the tractor should pay attention to all aspects of the connection between the tractor and the semi-trailer. For the main connecting piece towing seat, attention should be paid to the standard operation of hooking and disengaging. And it can only be mounted and unmounted on a firm, flat surface.
How to hook up a trailer to a truck?
Hooking up a trailer to a truck is not a difficult task. You will be well on your way if you follow the proper steps. Next is a step-by-step guide about how to connect a trailer to a truck.
- When connecting, the trailer skateboard must be at the same level as the towing seat panel or slightly lower (up to 50mm) than the towing seat panel. A word of warning here, if you are using air suspension, the height should be slightly higher. The air suspension is softer and filled with air. If there is cargo on top of the trailer, the air will be compressed, and the height will be lower than usual.
- When the tractor seat is in the pre-hung state (that is, the handle is pulled out), slowly drive the truck under the semi-trailer. The locking mechanism will automatically close, the handle of the tractor seat will return, and the dial will be in the return position. After the connection is complete, move the tractor slightly forward to check if the trailer hookup is good.
- After the connection is completed, check and confirm that the locking mechanism of the tractor seat is locked before driving the truck.
How to unhook a trailer from a truck?
We have just discussed how to hook a trailer to a truck, and the next part will involve how to unhitch a trailer. When unhitching a trailer, the skid plate of the semi-trailer should be 5mm higher than the towing seat panel.
- Lift the handle of the traction seat, and pull the handle to the right. Then outwards entirely at one time, and fix the handle to the edge of the traction seat.
- The traction seat is in the pre-hung state. After removing the oil and gas pipeline of the semi-trailer, slowly drive the truck out.
Maintenance Of The Traction Seat
You will find that the traction seat plays an essential role in hitching and unhitching a trailer. You will use it frequently. Therefore, regular maintenance is critical. Here are some tips.
- When the traction seat is used for the first time, it must be painted/filled with lubricating oil as required.
- The traction seat should pay attention to regular maintenance and lubrication, regularly check the wear status of the parts, and adjust the gap between the traction seat and the semi-trailer, which can significantly reduce the wear speed of the traction seat and prolong its service life. Therefore, it is recommended to brush/fill with lubricating grease every two weeks or every 5000km to ensure that the traction seat is fully lubricated when it is in contact with the truck and trailer to avoid wear of parts and damage to the saddle.
How to hitch a trailer? Is this problem not as challenging as you thought it would be? In fact, with a little more patience and care, you’ll do fine, won’t you? And we are a professional China semi trailer manufacturer and truck trailer factory! Besides providing you with some knowledge and guides on semi-trailers, we also have a wide variety of semi-trailers for sale. For example, Fuel Tanker Trailers, Flatbed Trailers, Low Bed Trailers, Dropside/Fence Cargo Trailers, etc. Feel free to contact us.